Comments are usually moderated. However, I do not accept any legal responsibility for the content of any comment. If any comment seems submitted just to advertise a website it will not be published.

Wednesday 17 January 2018

MORE ON EXCEPTIONAL HARDSHIP

“The reasons for exceptional hardship are proven because you will lose your employment and a roof over your head.” This is an extract from a statement made recently by a bench chairman at Manchester Magistrates` Court. Last week I posted on exceptional hardship.  Unfortunately for motoring law and the principle of deterrence as exemplified by the totting legislation of "12 points means disqualification", the law IMHO has failed in this example. The Magistrates Association has published guidance on this matter; para 4) v is of particular interest.  A newsworthy appeal against exceptional hardship being rejected was heard in Glasgow in 2012.  The website Counsel Direct has valuable opinion on the subject. 

Exceptional hardship cases are heard almost daily in many courts nationwide.  At no time during my tenure was any official guidance given. Indeed my own notes were welcomed by many colleagues to assist them in their finding their way through sometimes lengthy appeals by advocates for the offenders. It is about time that magistrates understood all the factors which should be considered in such cases. 


1 comment:

  1. Some years ago I was asked by my daughter's then boyfriend what he should do as he had been nicked by a speed camera and it was likely he would exceed 12 points and thereby get the mandatory 6 months ban. The case was going to be heard in another home counties'court (not mine or even in the same JC area)and I said his only chance of keeping his licence was to try 'éxceptional hardship'. I told him to smarten up, get rid of the beard and put a suit and tie on. He told me how he would be unable to continue to do his job. I also told him that he would never get away with his 'exceptioal hardship' argument in my court but he might as well go for it and see what happened. After the case he told me he did as I suggested and it had worked for him. He went on to say that the bench was populated by 3 middle class ladies and it really wasn't too difficult to persuade them of his plight. He was quite pleased with my advice but I couldn't believe that the bench had been so kind. And that I think sums up the 'éxceptional hardship' dilema. No guidance from on high so anything can happen and did!

    ReplyDelete